Monday, April 8, 2013

Year One


You know the saying, “Time Flies When You’re Having Fun”?  Well, time has certainly flown this past year, but I can’t say it was all fun!  I honestly can’t believe we made it through this past year.  From the day the boys were born, one year ago today, life has been an absolute whirlwind.  When Brennen, Graham and Liam were in the hospital, I thought it was hands down the hardest thing I had ever had to endure.  Then when we brought the boys home and they were eating every three hours, had feeding tubes and struggling with feedings, I thought that was the hardest thing I ever had to get through.  THEN, when the boys stopped sleeping much at night and hardly at all during the day, I thought that was the hardest thing ever.  I guess what I have come to realize is every phase we have been through this year has been hard in very different ways.  From the emotional toll the hospital stay took on us, to the physical toll sleep deprivation took on us it’s amazing we made it out in one piece! 

But I can also look back and take so much joy in all the good moments.  The days we brought the boys home; Liam on June 29, Graham on July 4 and Brennen on July 4 were euphoric.  Just knowing our little guys went through so much and came home to us healthy was a miracle.  Every first we had with them was something not to be taken for granted….First full bottle feeding, first (and every time) they all slept through the night, first smiles, first teeth, first crawls…I could go on and on!  We are so incredibly lucky to experience all of this three times over!  Not only that, but the boys are the happiest little dudes ever, and I love watching them learn, explore and interact with each other.  We have had our fair share of grabbing, pushing and pacifier pulling already, and I am sure that will continue.  I know they say you shouldn’t wish one phase away too fast for the sake of a new phase, but I am so excited to keep watching these guys grow and have so many more firsts.  I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel that has just started to appear this last month or so, and things are beginning to get slightly easier.  I am sure life will continue to be chaotic and we will still have our ups and downs, but such is life with four kids, and we’ll just keep calm and try not to freak out!

I sang happy birthday to each boy individually tonight and smothered them with hugs and kisses (happy they’ll let me do this for a few more years), and I realized that one year ago today I could not even hold them and just had to settle for holding their tiny hands.  This realization to me was what really brought the whole year into perspective and make me feel like I’m the luckiest mom in the world!

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY Brennen, Graham and Liam, we can’t wait to see what year two brings! 

P.S. I am having technical difficulties and will post photos when I am able! 

No comments:

Post a Comment