Thursday, July 12, 2012

Brennen's BIG Day!

Wow, what a surprise!  Just a few days after we brought Graham home, the doctor called and said we could bring Brennen home as well! That was on Friday, and by Saturday afternoon, July 7th, he was home!  The little guy went through a lot in 92 days, some of the scariest moments of my life!  He has so much spunk to him, that even when he cries his loudest, which is very loud, I just have to laugh and appreciate his vigor, because without it, who knows what would have happened. 

It's crazy to think that our little 2lb. 2oz. baby was discharged weighing 7lbs!  He has come home with a feeding tube, like his brother, but I feel he's got all the skills and just needs to build up some stamina.  In the few days that he has been home he's already gotten better and better. 

It was very emotional to leave with Brennen.  We were obviously thrilled to bring him home and complete our family, but there were tears shed looking back at the entire journey.  I learned so much about myself throughout it, and have spent a lot of time reflecting (more on that in another post).  We were also surrounded by a wonderful support system at the hospital and had many primary nurses who not only took care of our boys, but took care of us.  I can't count how many times I broke down in tears, for no apparent reason, sometimes on a daily basis!  They were always there to comfort me and assure me that what I was feeling was normal, and everything would be okay. 

I don't know if it will every happen, but Brandon and I have said that if we ever become millionaires, we are giving a huge chunk of change to Helen DeVos Children's Hospital.  

It's pretty crazy around here, so I don't have much time to write, but I wanted to thank our nurses...Miranda, Megan, Katie, Kathy, Sheri and Stephanie (our primaries), also Paul, Abby, Rachel and Holly who cared for the boys a lot, or where just there in the room supporting us.  You all made a very tough situation a lot better! We also had wonderful social workers, Julie and Rhonda, who filled out all our paper work and just said "sign this" and made it very easy for us.  Amy Nyberg, the March of Dimes NICU support person is such a kind caring person, who has lived what we were going through and was always willing to listen (we will be volunteering our time in the future).  Sue Teman, the nursing manager is was also always around and willing to listen and help us out.  Our primary doctor, Dr. Ben Doctor, who oversaw their care with the utmost thought and detail.  He was wonderful at explaining everything to us so we would understand. The NNPs were all wonderful and I don't even know how many times Collette and Alicia listened to me vent late at night on the night shift! To all those that we have met along that way that I might have forgotten, thank you for everything. 

I also want to thank our friends and family who supported us through all of this, and continue to do so....we know it will take a village to raise this brood! 




Now we're moving on to the new phase with our family, which is sure to be filled with much excitement (already is)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment