Saturday, May 5, 2012

Save My Sanity

I have the funniest little girl!  Her love and humor definitely helped me get through the week.  She gave me a lot of laughs when I really needed it.  Highlights included her singing a song of words that rhymed with "Stitch".  I really couldn't help myself when she landed on a choice word that started with a "B".  Luckily, she had no clue what she was saying.  I felt a little guilty for laughing, but like I said, I needed a laugh!  Last night she made me go crazy by thinking I had misplaced the dvd remote.  I was frantically looking for it for a few minutes before I went back into the living room (for the third time), and noticed her sitting coyly on the couch.  I said, "Addie, do you have the remote?" to which she burst out laughing.  Of course I couldn't help laughing too. 

Addie also has a little connection with Graham.  We think it's because he is not closed up anymore, and therefore more accessible. We were talking last night about how excited we are for the boys to be home.  Addie is most excited about holding Graham first because he is her "buddy" and because he is "open". 

Brandon also helped save my sanity by doing the dishes when I just couldn't take it any more, folding me laundry (he is a MUCH better folder than me), and thankfully, taking a 1/2 day yesterday to be there when I was at my breaking point.  There is a fine balance to be had between being at the hospital with the boys and being home with Addie.  I feel we are doing a pretty good job at this, but with Brennen having a rough time this week, I could not help wanting to be there as much as possible.

Thankfully, Brennen seems to be improving a little every day.  The doctors could not find any particular reason for his regression, other than the infection taking a toll on his body, combined with prematurity.  He is still on IPPV respiratory support, which is one step above CPAP, but he is doing well at this level and has avoided having to be re-intubated.  I FINALLY got to hold him again today after not being able to do so since last Tuesday.  It was exactly what I needed, and I think he enjoyed it as much as I did; settling down the instant I put him on my chest.


Graham and Liam continue to do well.  They are both big eaters and gaining weight like champs.  They still both struggle with alarms after their feedings (something about the full bellies makes it harder to breathe), but we are told this is normal for preemies as well.  


I have a hard time keeping track and remembering all their stats (writing it down might help), but as of last night Brennen was 3lbs.12oz., Graham was 4lbs 10oz. and Liam was 4lbs! 


We are approaching the one month mark in a few days.  I would like to say that time has flown by, and at times it has, but other times it seems like an eternity.  All in all I think the boys have made great progress and I'm excited to see what the next month brings.  With any luck we'll have them home!

Now let's play a little game we call "Name that baby"  Admittedly, if we don't label the pictures we take immediately after we take them, it's hard to tell the little guys apart already, especially when they have their cpaps off.  Answers below.
1.


2.

3.
  



1. Liam; 2. Brennen; 3. Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment